Monday, October 6, 2008

Day 6 Eat Local Challenge

Tonight we had a scrumptious tomatillo gazpacho with shrimp and avocado garnish. I served it with some homemade cheese and black bean quesidillas. This meal was a majority of local ingredients, but not totally (the avocado, shrimp and beans were the exceptions) It was quite tasty though and will be added to our list to make again sometime.

I went to the local natural food store today and bought a few more items including some local organic chicken breasts and ground lamb. I also bought a couple "non local items" - the avocado, some turkey breast for my 5 year old and a few green olives for the soup's garnish. I chose all organic ingredients as I could not find local. Also, for the avocado, I chose the USA one, not the imported. That's got to count for something, right?!?From this trip I spent $19.79 on local food and $6.98 on non-local items.

Previous total: approximately $41 -- all local food dollars. So adding the grocery trip from today and the $30 I gave to the local farmer tonight at the drop point for a chicken and 2 dozen eggs.....the cumulative total is $91 local items, $7 non-local. Wow! I didn't realize how much $$ goes to food in our house. It's only the 6th day of the month!

No comments: