Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Budget Challenge – Official Day ONE


So…..this morning started off with a bang! We were out of milk and eggs (I can’t remember the last time this happened in our house….it has been literally years!) And, of course, I forgot and promised the kids waffles for breakfast. So, thankful for the internet, I sat myself on the computer and did a google search for vegan waffles. I found several recipes that I had the ingredients on hand for and the kids chose this one……

Healthy Vegan Waffles – found from various sources on internet

* 1 ripe banana, mashed
* 2 cups water
* 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
* 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix banana and water. Add dry ingredients and mix, leaving lumps in batter (the lumps keep the waffles from becoming too rubbery when cooked). Cook on waffle iron. You can use the same batter to make pancakes. Serve with maple syrup. Can also add small berries (my little one liked them with blueberries)

Next time I make it I will omit the nutmeg and sub a little more cinnamon as I think I would like this flavor better. Overall, they were tasty though. My oldest ate a whole waffle and little one ate most of a waffle. I ate one too and, admittedly, they were strangely filling.

Lunch will be leftover whole wheat penne noodles with butter for the kids and green beans that I cooked up last night. I’ll have a slice of the salmon quiche and a salad.

Dinner: BLTs (with some added oomph – avocado and red onion) on Salem Sourdough Bread from Cascade Baking Company. Bacon is from Abundant Life Farms. Lettuce and Tomato from our CSA Bin and the avocado I bought at Roth’s yesterday. We will be having a green salad with pears and blue cheese with the sandwiches.

No comments: