Monday, August 4, 2008

Figuring out the Challenge.....

Since our produce bin arrives tomorrow I thought I'd start off the challenge then too! That way I can do menu planning and the budget challenge all at once. If only I'd penciled it out earlier today I might have stocked up more at Roth's than I did! (Cheating??? Perhaps!) But I didn't, so it is a moot point!

$60 weekly budget ($15 per person x 4 people)
-$20 (prepaid CSA Produce)
-$15 or $20 (estimate of pantry and freezer items already on hand….we are really well stocked!) $20 or $25 left to spend each week

Hmmm…..that’s not a lot. I spent more than that on wine and cheese today at Roth’s!

Oh, and then I remembered that we get a dairy delivery from the Dairy King each week. A typical order would send me to the limit, but we were planning to downsize the order this week anyway.....here's an estimate on the pricing for what we will be getting on Wednesday:

Gallon of milk 3.89
Eggs 2.99
Butter 2.99
Half and Half 1.99

Total: 11.86 ($12.00 for the sake of rounding and that I didn’t add on the gas surcharge as I can’t remember it…..)

So....that leaves me with (drum roll please!!!!!)

$8-$13 left to spend --- for the sake of simplicity I am going with $10 this week as I am planning to use a decent amount from the freezer and pantry too! I am going to begin the bugetary week on Tuesday (tomorrow).

No comments: