Saturday, August 2, 2008

Food on a Budget Challenge

I was invited by the local Green Salem group to participate in a challenge of sorts...

Here are my self-imposed and self-developed rules (warning: I have always liked to change the rules as I go though.....):

$60 a week budget for the household ($15 per person for a household of 4- 2 adults and 2 kiddos)
On hand supplies do not count (all those frozen and pantry items will come in handy!)
Big long-term purchases do not count (as in the 1/2 a pig I have ordered for Sept/Oct....and I don't have the time or desire to figure out per piece cost, etc)
Buy local (first choice) organic ingredients whenever possible
Buy whole foods - not processed junk

So......that being said, it's hard to start this right now as we have been vacationing at a beach home for the past week and currently have 5 extra bodies to feed staying in our house. We went to the Farmer's Market today and stocked up on lots of fresh produce (peaches, blueberries, eggplant, green beans, tomato, cantaloupe, green pepper, cauliflower, and more that I am forgetting....) We're having a 2 year old birthday bash for my youngest tomorrow so have to feed 25 bodies lunch that day. I think we'll be starting the official challenge later this week!

Tonight we had some yummy salmon filets, sauteed zuchinni squashes with onion and garlic (from the meager garden we have), tomatoes, green salad and some delicious olive bread from (my personal favorite) Cascade Baking Company. You can never go wrong there!

No comments: