Monday, August 4, 2008

A previous week….and today’s lunch

So a couple weeks ago I was really proud of myself for my menu planning and am still enjoying the benefits in the form of food in the freezer!

First day….I roasted a whole chicken with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and some fresh herbs. It was delicious and my littlest one loved it all too (added bonus!). After dinner I made chicken stock with the bones and salvaged the rest of the meat.

Second day….I made a chicken “stew” of sorts with homemade biscuits from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian (using my new biscuit cutter that the girls got me for Mother’s Day). The soup was fabulous and SO easy! I threw in some of the chicken, chopped the leftover potatoes, carrots and onions, added some curry powder, thickened with a little half and half and cornstarch (but it wasn’t very thick still!) and just let it simmer away all afternoon.

I also made up a batch of homemade tamales (my first time ever using soaked corn husks….although HTCEV also has a version where they are baked in ramekins and forego the husks altogether!) The corn mixture was easy to make and I filled them with chicken, zuchinni and onion (and some got a little cheese). I sampled a couple after they steamed and they were quite tasty! I froze 3 bags of them for future dinners.

So, after a couple delicious meals, I still have 2 containers of chicken stock in the freezer, a bag of chicken meat and 3 bags of tamales. Oh, and I am going to have the last of the soup today for lunch. Mmmm…..

No comments: